Here is the practice that you can do to start slowing down and start participating in eating experiences: for as many meals as you can, stop multitasking while you eat and just tune in to the experience you are having. This week I’d like you to take at least three meals where you commit to doing at least a couple of the following:
(1) making sure you are sitting while you are eating,
(2) taking three nice deep breaths before eating,
(3) taking a little extra time with your food,
(4) calming your mind,
(5) blessing your food and the people who grew it or prepared it,
(6) noticing your food. Pretend to be a food critic and try to pick up on the flavors and the nuances,
(7) putting your fork down in between bites and chewing slowly,
(8) basically, doing anything to draw your attention to the fact that you are eating.
Build on this practice weekly. Aim for three times this week then four, then five until the majority of your meals are taken in this relaxed way.